I know everyone says...time flies when you are having fun...have you ever noticed that sometimes time flies even faster when you are too busy to even realize you are having a great time!
I haven't been keeping up with this blog as religiously as I'd hoped...but even the bits of information I've taken the time to log/share, have really helped me build some type of baby book for the boys.
I started a book for them on MixBook.com by taking my entries here and just importing them into the pages. It takes a little time to clean up and add photos, I've completed about 5 pages and am happy with what I have so far. It will probably take me the whole next year to finish...but that is the beauty of having everything already recorded...no rush!
I haven't been keeping up with this blog as religiously as I'd hoped...but even the bits of information I've taken the time to log/share, have really helped me build some type of baby book for the boys.
I started a book for them on MixBook.com by taking my entries here and just importing them into the pages. It takes a little time to clean up and add photos, I've completed about 5 pages and am happy with what I have so far. It will probably take me the whole next year to finish...but that is the beauty of having everything already recorded...no rush!
Jacques has reached the end of the third quarter in his 8th grade year this week. He is at school today negotiating with both his Math and AVID teachers. From what I've seen thus far, if he tries, I think he will be able to convince them he should pass those classes...if not well I am certainly not excited for report card day...again. School and grades aside I honestly couldn't be happier with him. I know right...14 years old and I'm happy? Yep because when I take into consideration that he is 14, still talks to both Mike and I, helps out with his brothers and does some of his chores...I think life is gonna be OK!
I am extremely thankful that Mike happened into our lives when he did...I have said this often...but I do not believe I could ever say it often enough or even express how he continues to amaze me each and every day with how he cares for Jacques. I know it comes from the fact that his own teenage years are not far forgotten and also that he was raised under similar circumstances. Mike, had a step-father...he knows how it feels. Anyhow he is constantly aware of and is sensitive to Jacques feelings. The best part of how he loves Jacques in my mind is that because he is sensitive to Jacques and his learning to be a responsible adult...he doesn't baby him or let him exploit the fact that Mike is his step-father. Mike tells me, there is a delicate balance being a parent to Jacques and that it will probably be the hardest job he will ever enjoy.
Mike has always said he enjoys a challenge...yes I do think that is probably why our marriage has been so happy and gets better and better...but his always wanting to meet a challenge head on is the reason he says he will never let up on Jacques. Such a great dad!
Mike has always said he enjoys a challenge...yes I do think that is probably why our marriage has been so happy and gets better and better...but his always wanting to meet a challenge head on is the reason he says he will never let up on Jacques. Such a great dad!
Birthday week for the babies...now toddlers, was quite an eventful week. We started off Sunday morning with Carter running a fever and pretty much just sleeping somewhere near Daddy all morning. By the time I came home from my early shift at work, both boys had fevers and were not themselves. First thing we dosed up with some Tylenol to bring down those fevers. They enjoyed a playing in the tub quite a bit earlier than what they are use to. The water was not as warm as what they are use to but they didn't seem to mind much. The fevers came down quickly and they seemed to feel quite a bit better after a nice nap. That night Devin's nose was running all over the place and he didn't sleep well.
Monday morning I took them to Mani's so I could run a few errands to get ready for their Birthday on Wednesday. When I came to pick them up, she said they needed to be taken to the doctor. Love her...she never holds back! I brought them home and called the nurse to see if I could get them in still that afternoon, she said they were out of appointments for the day and that I would have to take the boys to after-hours care. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. The boys seemed fine to me...not great but not really needing to see Dr. Hasegawa right away. They were scheduled to see her for their first year appointment Wednesday anyways so I figured we could wait. Boy was I wrong! About 11pm that night, I was confronted with the fact that, yes I should have listened to Mani. 2 running noses and 2 very uncomfortable babies...very congested. We were up quite a bit Monday night so I decided to get them to see the pediatrician the day before their 1 year appointment. Dr. Hasegawa said it was a good call, she said that Carter had and ear infection and Devin seemed a bit congested down into his chest so she would give them both antibiotics. She also completed their 1 year check-up so I could keep them home on their Birthday. Carter weighed in at 25 pounds and Devin at 22.5. Big boys! I forgot their double stroller in the garage but luckily had the 2 umbrella strollers...oh the looks! Actually it is easier to manage the 2 smaller strollers, one in front in one hand and the other towing behind just seems to be more maneuverable. Also the double stroller DOES NOT fit inside the doors at the clinic. The pharmacist felt SO bad for the boys because by the time we got to them...those women could not get that medicine out quick enough! They'd had enough of being at the clinic in these strollers! By the time we were on our way out the door she kept offering help...we were really fine I guess we didn't look as fine as I felt!
Dr. Hasegawa asked if when they coughed did it sound like they were barking like seals. That sounded hilarious to me...how would I ever know? Well I told her that they didn't and she looked like she didn't believe me...again why would I understand that line of questioning! I certainly wondered a whole lot more the next morning...my babies WERE barking seals I swear! Thank god for Google..."baby barking seal cough" enter...10 pages come up signs/symptoms of Croup...ahh they have Croup! Uuuuuuuuugh they had Croup...constricting of what? Their airway? Oh no they are SO not going back to daycare this week! Apparently after the fever phase of the virus they are not contagious...we had been feverless for 2 days...but inflammation of the airway...especially at night? We put both pack and plays in our room each night and those babies were sleeping right next to mommy! At least for a couple of days. Talking to my mother on the phone, she heard Devin and said "Oh poor baby, he sounds all crouped up" imagine that...mom knows all about croup! Wednesday afternoon I baked a pineapple cake. Jacques came home from school, dad came home from work...we had dinner on the lanai and all sang Happy Birthday Devin and Carter. Jacques blew out the candles and dad helped each boy get his hands into that cake...which taste pretty good!
I felt lucky to be able to stay home all week with them while they were sick...we had a really good time...they weren't really sick during the day so we played a lot! Friday we went for pictures...oh the pictures! Well we shall see how those come out! I do not envy that photographer editing our wonderful photos session!
A couple of weeks later, boys are back to good health and I am back at work...I could actually see staying home more...but really I do enjoy being employed elsewhere and being able to go home each day to savor every moment I can with the whole family.
So what is Devin up to these days? Well he has realized a wonderful skill that will get the attention of EVERYONE in the house INSTANTLY...it is call SCREAM really really LOUD! I can tell you, I cannot wait till he realizes how undesirable his new-found skill is to the rest of his family! He was up practicing at midnight last night...I couldn't get to him fast enough before he had a chance to wake Carter. Luckily I was able to shush Carter back to sleep. Devin will be sleeping in his pack and play in our room for the next couple of nights to help him learn that yelling at your mother is not the way to get her into your room in the middle of the night. Once he starts sleeping through again, we will move him back in with Carter. We have done this with each of the boys a couple of times when they start waking regularly at a certain time and won't go back to sleep without some type intervention. It has worked well since being in separate rooms helps the other continue to sleep through the night.
Carter is finally walking most of the time. He is not really into bending his knees so he kind of does this zombie walk...but zombie or not...he is walking. Sometimes when you have something they both want you can feel like you are being overtaken by zombies...they both walk toward you...arms out trying to get there first...eyes looking at you with this "I want what you have" look in them... I can't help but chuckle when I think of them toddling toward me trying to get to the camera or my coffee cup...IIIIIIIII wiiiiiiiillllllll geeeeeet uuuuuu moooooooommmm.
They both really love the dog, and would love to be able to love the cat...she won't let them catch her. Sometimes I see her taunting them lingering just till they are within reach...then she shoots away. They don't seem to be upset, more amazed at how fast she can spring across the room. Timmy on the other hand, he will just sit there and let them grope him...I don't think he necessarily likes it, he looks like he is in pain, but he lets them and I think it is because he is hoping they will get bored with him...or maybe learn not to pinch? Either way his is patient with them and still will just start licking them when they pinch him too hard. The licking usually annoys them and they will leave him alone. Carter crawled right under him the other day and Timmy didn't even flinch. Good stuff!
We have established that the TV is off limits. Of course they insist they MUST push the TV, it swivels. Carter especially has a hard time hearing the word "NO". He will stand there and try to tell you what he is going to do till you walk over and pull him away. Daddy will give him a good swat and say "no" and he usually after only 2 times will find something else to be interested in. Other times, Daddy will head over to help Carter realize there are other more important things to be doing, and Carter will wait till he gets right there...and plop down on his but acting like he never intended on touching the TV....wonder if he got that from the cat. Either way it is too funny to watch him just kind of fall down out of Daddy's grasp.
Devin, when he is doing something he knows is trouble...you scold him and he looks over at you like...awe common mom...smiling...I am cute you know you wanna let me! Oh does he get upset when you make him realize that "No, Devin you are not going to..." He has that heartbroken..."I REALLY WANT TO THOUGH" cry. So cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment