Saturday, December 12, 2009

Oh wow do I have a lot to catch up on!

OK today is actually December 12 but I am going to back-date this entry to catch up on what has been going on, then add another for what is happening...well closer to now! LOL...

I'll start with our trip to the mainland since before we left was the last posting I did.
Saturday October 31: We didn't pack much before that day, but thankfully we had most everything ready just had to get it into the suitcase. We bought a couple "Halloween costume" sleepers for the boys to wear on the plane. Couldn't fly on Halloween and not dress up a little! Devin was a Skeleton in a black sleeper with white bones, complete with a "skull" cap. Carter wore an orange "I Love My Mummy" sleeper with a little mummy on the front. Jacques, well we hooked him up w/ some extra candy.

The plane boarded at 8pm perfect since that was when the boys usually go for bed. Carter and Mike slept pretty much the entire flight. Jacques was very happy to be playing his Nintendo DS. He doesn't get much down time to play at home so he sees all plane flights as quality DS time. He sat in the same row with Devin and I. Devin, well he slept for about 3 maybe 3.5 hours of the flight. I am not complaining, he could have been crying for 3 hours! The rest of the flight...quality Mommy time for Devin. He was in his glory, moms undivided attention for an undetermined amount of time! Yeeehoo!

Got to Houston, luggage...and then we went outside. There was Grandpa Johnson and someone who knew me...seemed nice and gave me a hug! I later found out this was Mikes Grandma Wanda Johnson...I've been exchanging email with her for over a year! That would explain why she acted as tho she knew me! Very fun to see a Grandpa's face the first time they see their first grandchild's faces! Usually it's face, in this case...faces. Love those moments, even more when I have my camera handy, not this time it will have to remain as one of those photos in my head...so many of those!

A wonderful BBQ awaited us at Grandma Pam and Papa's house. We met Mike's Aunts and Uncles on the Johnson side, Pam's sisters, my new sister in law's, Grandpa Buddy...all kinds of new kinfolk. We stayed there till for the next couple of days. I have to say that was a very relaxed and enjoyable visit. A lot of quality just chilling out is what we did, it was nice. One thing we did do, was take they boys to their first restaurant! What a pleasant surprise that was...they were SO well behaved. I had honestly expected not to take them out to eat for the first...hmm 10 years! It was a great place, a steakhouse with peanut shells all over the floor and music in the background. I do believe our peanuts pelting through the air was much more obnoxious than the boys could have ever been!

Thursday morning we flew from Houston to Rapid City South Dakota. Oh the comments from my wonderful husband, I thought they would never end! Of course now he says he is anxious to return. I had a feeling that would be the case, so all of the comments were pretty much ignored. South Dakota was not at all a sit back and relax type visit...was not expecting anything of the sort. The first night, Mike had said he would probably go hunting with the guys in the morning then that would be the extent of his hunting...yeah right! By the time Jacques, My Dad and Mike returned from some excursion that included hunting licenses and dropping off a gun or was it picking one up...who knows...all I remember was Mike was all smiles and now pretty excited to be going out hunting at the crack of dawn. Needless to say after that first day I was a hunting widow for the duration of that trip...perfect since I could drive all over the countryside and visit family with the boys at my leisure...and I did just that! Jacques shot his first doe, Mike shot his first buck...we took I think it was 90lb of venison to Texas. They had a fun time...man-time! LOL.
My favorite part of the trip to SoDak was that we had a party to celebrate Mike and my marriage and the twins birth...mostly I thought it was the best way to get Mike to meet most of my family. What a wonderful time we had! Both of my Grandmothers sitting next to me holding the new babies...this was one of those life moments, you sit back and smile to yourself...all is right with my world. Got to spend some quality time with lots of family and friends...nothing beats that...not ever!


Tuesday morning came WAY too soon, but I was ready for the last leg of our trip. Grandma Kathy was making her 3rd trip around Houston Airport when we finally got our luggage out the door. Off to Grandma Schilhabs house where we would sleep and dinner...meatloaf Mike LOVES meatloaf. Kelly showed up then her gorgeous 3 girls came with Kevin. Uncle Rodney was there and Uncle Scott with his wife Cindy and their daughter Morgan. Even Uncle Steve made an appearance, it was so nice to meet everyone! One of the best parts was that the babies took right to their Great Grandpa Melvin, I hear that is not always the case. Got some great pictures with Grandma Kathy and Great Grandma Georgie. Donny and Blake came and I think Blake really liked having those babies around and I believe he would have been happy if we had left one or both for him to play with. Actually that reminds me, I had to laugh because while we were in South Dakota everyone wanted to keep Carter...when we got back to Texas everyone wanted to keep Devin. I have no clue what Mike and I would do with only one baby. We have always been thankful god gave us 2 because we would have had a hard time sharing.

Friday we drove up to Schulenburg. Oh Schulenburg! What a GREAT house! I could have spent a month up there just checking out everything there was to see in and around that house! Saturday morning Kathy, Kelly, Grandma and I went to garage sales...what a treat. I found a recipe box that was identical to the one in our cupboard growing up. Totally over-priced but I doubt I will ever see that box again, heck yeah I bought that thing!

All in all it was one damn good trip home! We visited A LOT of people and the boys all 3 did wonderful! I was so proud of how they all did. Jacques was very excited to see everyone, he has always had a special place for his family...and we have always said, "more family is better...so much more folks to love." I have always treasured that about Jacques. I hope he never loses that!

No comments: